Xmas Savoury Strudel
[ I n g r e d i e n t s ]
¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock 1 shallot
1 clove garlic
1 pound Wild Mushroom Blend
½ cup dry white wine
6 ounces Goat Cheese, crumbled
6 whole Filo Sheets (3 per strudel)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 bunch wild greens
[ m e t h o d ]
1. Toast pine nuts and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan heat the stock and half of the butter. Add the shallots and garlic and sweat until the shallots are translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté until cooked and juices are reduced. Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.
3. Spread the mushroom mixture on a sheet pan to cool.
4. When cool, add the crumbled goat cheese and pine nuts.
5. To prepare one (1) strudel. On sheet pan, stack 3 sheets of phyllo. Brush the top sheet thoroughly with the melted butter. Mound ½ the mushroom mixture along the long edge of the dough.
6. Roll the strudel tightly, completely enclosing the mushroom mixture. Brush the entire outside with the melted butter.
7. Repeat above to assemble 2nd strudel. Score the tops of the strudels; 5 portions per strudel.
8. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve on a bed of greens with a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar and some olive oil.