Baking / Deserts
Scrumptious Carrot Cake
Makes one 24x24cm cake
4 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
½ cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 ¼ cups neutral tasting oil (i used sunflower)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups high grade flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
3 cups grated carrots
½ cup pumpkin & sunflower seeds
½ cup toasted & chopped walnuts to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 24cm square tin with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Add oil and beat again until well blended. Add sifted dry ingredients – flours, spices, baking soda and baking powder – and mix thoroughly but with a light hand. Fold in carrots and seeds.
3. Pour into prepared tin.
4. Bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool in the tin until warm before turning out onto a wire rack.
6. Ice with cream cheese icing once completely cooled and shower with toasted walnuts.
Nici’s note: Using some wholemeal flour and adding pumpkin and sunflower seeds adds texture to this beautiful cake.
Cream cheese icing
200g cream cheese, room temperature
30g butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.