WOOP’s Teriyaki beef with sesame ginger quinoa slaw
2 x 150g sirloin steaks
100g red cabbage
100g green cabbage
1 spring onion
For the teriyaki sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp sugar
For the sesame ginger dressing:
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp tahini
1 tsp sugar
1 cm knob of ginger, grated
2 tbsp mayonnaise
¼ tsp each white and black sesame seeds
1. To cook the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa under cold water in a sieve. Place in a medium pot and half fill the pot with water. Place over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 mins. You can tell when the quinoa is ready because the little white spirals (the germ) will appear curling out of the quinoa seeds. Drain into a sieve and allow to steam for a few minutes to dry out.
While the quinoa is cooking:
2. To make the sesame ginger dressing: Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a small pan over a medium-low heat (this will take 1-2 mins). Combine all the ingredients for the dressing except the mayonnaise in a bowl and whisk together with a fork until combined. Stir in the mayonnaise until the dressing is smooth.
3. To make the teriyaki marinade: Whisk together all the ingredients with a fork until the sugar has dissolved.
4. To make the quinoa slaw: Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot add the cooked quinoa and allow to sit in pan without stirring for 3-4 mins, then stir and cook for another 2-3 mins. While the quinoa is cooking thinly slice the red and green cabbage. Peel and grate the carrot. Thinly slice the spring onion on the diagonal. Once the quinoa is crisped up place into salad bowl and allow to cool for several minutes. Stir through the cabbage, carrot and spring onion. Lastly pour over the dressing and stir to mix well.
5. To cook the steak: Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Once the pan is smoking hot add the steak. Sear on each side for 2-3 mins for medium rare steak. Turn the heat off then pour over the teriyaki marinade and allow it to sizzle onto the steak. Rest for a few mins then thinly slice.
To serve: Spoon quinoa slaw onto plates and top with teriyaki steak slices. Spoon over teriyaki sauce from the pan.